Strawberry Singh's meme for the week is on one of my favorite topics, books and our reading habits.
I'm primarily a fiction reader, though the occasional memoir, biography or collection of letters captures my interest. On to the questions!
Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers into your post, delete my answers and input your own. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so we can all come and see. If you create an image for this meme, feel free to share it in the Blog Memes Flickr Group.
- Are you a bookworm? – I am. There is not a day where I don't sit down in my favorite leather chair, put my feet on the ottoman and read while I sip my coffee.
- Which do you prefer: hardcover, paperback or electronic? – I bought a Kindle about five years ago and put a pretty red leather cover on it. I use it all the time. When I learned that I could store 2,500 books on my Kindle, I knew I had to have it since my bookcases are all overflowing. I also enjoy listening to audiobooks in the car or while I'm cleaning house.
- Which book is your favorite? – My favorite anything is a matter of my mood. I have a difficult time with any "what is your favorite -" question. I'm fickle. My favorite book one week will be something else the next. I can tell you my favorite Jane Austen novel - Mansfield Park, my favorite Dickens - Bleak House. I prefer Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre to Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I can't decide between my favorite Edith Wharton novels, but House of Mirth makes me sob aloud. Or what about something a little more modern like Joseph Heller's Catch 22? David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day for a giggle? Maybe I should go with the book I've recommended the most to friends since I've read it - Giliad by Marilyn Robinson.
- Which children’s book is your favorite? – From my own childhood probably Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. My children taught me to love everything by Roald Dahl, all the Harry Potter books, and the Philip Pullman trilogy His Dark Materials. Both of the last two series are awesome audiobooks. The boys and I listened to them in the car during every vacation until they went to college!
- What’s the last book you’ve read? – The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy.
- Name your top five favorite writers: – There's that favorite question again. In no particular order: Vladamir Nabokov, Jane Austen, Toni Morrison, Paul Bowles, and Barbara Kingsolver all come to mind.
- Name a book that had a strong impact on you: – Beloved by Toni Morrison devastated me. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and the story is based on a heinous local history about an enslaved woman named Margaret Garner. Nothing has ever driven home to me the shame and horror of our history of slavery in the United States the way that book did.
- Favorite & least favorite book genres? – I adore a good mystery novel and I really can't bear to read horror novels.
- Favorite & least favorite book-to-movie adaptions? – Hard question! The Lord of the Rings trilogy was great in the extended versions of the movies. I found the Harry Potter movies quite disappointing, though.
- Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone? – Yes, especially art books!
- Where do you usually buy your books? – From the comfort of my leather armchair on my Kindle.
- Do you go to the library? – Only when I'm in the mood to pay fines. I'm terrible about returning books. Never loan me a book. You won't see it again. Ever.
- How many books do you own? – I have no idea, but I have six large bookcases that are overflowing with books, and I have hundreds of books on my Kindle.
- If you were to write a book about Second Life, which topic would you focus on? The people I've met in this crazy virtual world. Lucky for you all that I don't know your real names!
Fashionably Dead Hand Drawn Skinny Jeans - Dark Gray
coldLogic shirt - marley.rose (w/ short undershirt)
Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands
TRUTH HAIR Candy - Gingers02
Pink Fuel Sora <Alabaster> - No Eyebrows
Mynerva Eyebrow Style 2~Brown Dark
Mynerva Eyebrow Style 2~Brown Dark
Beetlebones Mesh Lashes V.01 (Dainty brown)