Tuesday 20 August 2013

Are You a Joiner? A Strawberry Singh Meme

Strawberry Singh wants to talk about groups in Second Life, and it's a good topic. Do we have enough group space? What do we use them for? What makes us want to join a group?

Meme Instructions: Answer the following questions about groups and share some of your favs with us. Don’t forget to leave your link in Berry's comments!
  1. Have you reached the 42 group limit? I've reached the limit a few times. It's embarrassing to not be able to join an invitation only group because my groups are full! I have winnowed them down to 29 at the moment. I used to be a builder and had a lot of groups related to that. Recently I left all but a few I can't bear to be without, or ones that would be a hassle to rejoin due to fees and other requirements. Of course after reading everyone else's submissions to this meme, I'll probably probably be begging for 84 groups.
  2. Do you do a lot of group hopping to keep up with all the groups you want to stay a part of? Some, but not a lot. I love creators who have the web-based group option and and prefer to join those groups whenever I have the choice.
  3. What makes you want to join a group? There are different kinds of groups. We have a land group on our sim which is a must. Roleplay groups serve a different purpose and every roleplay sim has at least one, and usually several groups that you must be in if you play there. There are some groups which are purely informational. I belonged to an Elect Barack Obama group in 2008. But of course, the majority of my groups are store, event and blogger groups. Store and event groups I join to keep up with new releases and events, or because they have a great group gift.
  4. A lot of store VIP groups have a group fee which you have to pay to join. How do you feel about paying group fees? I'd rather not but I do belong to a few groups that require a fee. If the group receives frequent group gifts I'm OK with that. But believe me, if the creator goes months without a group gift I won't be a happy camper. I might join if the VIP group gets discounts on merchandise, but I often forget which groups offer that, so it's not as big an incentive even if I love the creator.
  5. Name a few groups that you are a part of that you feel everyone should look into joining and share your reasons behind that.
    •  No group is for everyone, but if you want to learn to build in Second Life, I highly recommend Builder's Brewery. Every week a new schedule is released for classes on everything from building with prims to making textures to learning Blender. One minus for me is that the group chat is VERY chatty. But it's a nice group of people sharing their skills.
    •  The Fifty Linden Friday group is a must for me. I don't always shop the event, but I don't want to miss it either!
    • I belong to the Lelutka group because I can't bear to miss a new release and the Dura group because they send demos of new releases to members, which I find very handy. I'm still in the Celoe group because if they DO release something new I'll be there in a flash.
    • Honestly, most of the other store groups that I like are the web-based groups that don't require a group spot. Truth Hair and Hucci come to mind. Both have group gifts on occasion, and they both keep me up to date with new releases. The only downside to the web based groups is that (a very few) creators add you to their group just for visiting their store. DON'T do that. I' still trying to figure out how to leave one particular group!
        
    Credits:
One Bad Pixel Cigarette Pants Black
Pure Poison - Amelia Studds Earrings - Gold
Ricielli Mesh - Spiked Bra + Pullover /#pow (at The Dressing Room Fusion)
Slink Mesh Hands (av)
[LeLutka]-POCAHONTAS hair - IrishRed
Glam Affair - Cleo - America - 01 F
Beetlebones Mesh Lashes V.01 (Starstruck brown)
Mayfly - Liquid Light Mesh Eye (Summer Shore, w3)

4 comments:

  1. Ah, another Hucci lover! And I had a bit of a rant about being added to a couple of subscribers without asking :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Hucci has the best group gifts! And I must have all of Eboni's new shoes!

      Delete
  2. Ok I never knew about the Hucci subscribo, gonna go make sure I get my alts in that, lol. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete