Saturday 9 November 2013

Inventory Woes and Temptations

I'm going to blog about my Second Life inventory folder. It's a mess and the number keeps creeping up. As I began to write this, my inventory was showing 38,861 items. Oh wait! There's something in the trash! DELETE. Oh. 38,860. I know by many bloggers' standards my inventory is a good size. But it's going to creep ever higher, so I'm trying to do something about it.

I am always ready to talk about inventory management, I really am. I love to talk about it. I love to hear about other people's strategies for coping, for organization. But my problem is this - I hate doing anything about my inventory. It's BORING! That's why I'm blogging it. It's either that or shopping and you know what that does to a girl's inventory.

Goals

I'm setting a number goal. I want to reduce my inventory by 10,000 items. That's pretty ambitious, so let's call it a stretch goal. I'd probably settle for 5,000.

I also want to put away all those folders I have left out (relatively easy) and perhaps make a new folder or two for better organization. For instance, my life got easier when I had the bright idea of putting all of my shoes for my SLink feet in one folder. So much better!

Strategies

After some random deleting of boxed items I have already opened in my object folder I decided I needed a strategy. So I started with low-hanging fruit.
  • First, the old deleting note cards strategy. I opened my inventory filter and checked only note cards then went through each folder happily highlighting note cards I know I don't need and hitting the delete button. Whew! Done, and my new inventory number is 38,021. I've done the deleting note cards bit before. It was a more dramatic change the first time, but still, a relatively painless way of getting rid of 840 items!
  •  Second, the deleting extra landmarks strategy. It's just like the note cards strategy - boring, but effective and painless. Less than halfway through the landmarks I logged, so I'm not done but my inventory was down to 37,594.
Then I went to Collabor88 and bought stuff. Face palm. I always do this! Clearly this is a long term project. I'll keep you updated about my progress. I'm still down by more than a thousand items!

Credits

Apple Fall Ornate Mirror (at Collabor88)
Apple Fall Chrysler Armchair (at Collabor88)

ISON - leather shape corset (sand) (at Collabor88)
ISON - side ruffle skirt (sand) (at Collabor88)
 ISON - lace-up gladiator sandals  (tan)
Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands
Slink Female Feet (AvEnhance) - Mid
LeLutka - HELEN - AuburnHaze
Belleza - Leila Med R 0

2 comments:

  1. thirty eight thousand, lol, Dolly! My goal is to keep mine under 100,000, rofl. I struggle daily with that. How in the world do you have it so low as a blogger? Mine is at about 96,000 today, sighs.

    ReplyDelete